This can be made ahead of time and eaten over several days. The secret to this recipe is to sear the meat and THEN marinate it over night. This means that the left over “juices” from the marinade can be used as the dressing for the salad, later.
1 Flank Steak
1 cup lime juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce or fish sauce
2 chopped green onions
1 lemon grass, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1-2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
Crispy Rice Noodles
Salad Greens, like spinach, arugula, or mixed greens
- Take the flank steak and sear in a hot, cast iron skillet for about 2-3 minutes on each side. The meat should be medium rare. It will continue to “cook” while soaking in the marinade. Be careful NOT to OVERCOOK.
- Combine the above ingredients and mix well or until sugar is dissolved. Adjust flavors for your preference.
- Slice the flank steak into THIN strips, like 1/4 inch, and place into marinade to soak overnight. (or at least 4-6 hours)
- Serve over salad greens of your choice…I like arugula for this dish.
- Top with more cilantro and drizzle with left over marinade. Sprinkle with crispy rice noodles.